Working with the Stafford Board of Supervisors, the EDA continues to execute strategic initiatives to provide a strong, pro-business environment. These efforts yield positive returns, with new business openings, existing business expansions, rising graduation and continuing education rates and a flourishing tourism market.
The EDA has led or participated in a number of outreach initiatives to support the county’s evolving business climate. The EDA is also collaborating with other boards to streamline county processes, hosting business forums as outreach to minority and veteran-owned small businesses and fostering retail and sports tourism.
As Stafford’s “face” to the business community, the EDA targets specific growth industries, including: Information Communications, Advanced Manufacturing and Logistics.
Specific initiatives include:
- Quantico Innovation Center
- Infrastructure: the I-95 toll extension lane, Route 630 Widening Project, I-95 new interchange at Exit 140, U.S. Route 17 Interchange improvements
- Outreach to attract businesses in targeted industries and retail
- Existing business visits
- Permit assistance
- Stafford’s four Redevelopment areas
Financing of projects
Financing of projects by the EDA through either taxable or non-taxable tax-exempt Industrial Revenue Bonds is similar to conventional financing, in that the repayment of the debt by the company or organization benefiting from the bonds is required, per the terms of the financing agreement.
Any bond financing project handled by the EDA requires an application and is subject to application fees that can be used by the EDA to transact other economic development activities within the county.
For example, revenue bonds were issued for Mary Washington Healthcare’s Cancer wing expansion.
Stafford County EDA Members
- Mr. Joel Griffin, Chairman – Rock Hill District, Term Expires: 6/10/23
- Mr. Donald H. Newlin, Vice Chairman – George Washington District, Term Expires: 6/10/23
- Mr. Howard Owen, Treasurer – Falmouth District, Term Expires: 6/10/20
- Mr. Skip Causey – Griffis-Widewater District, Term Expires: 6/10/21
- Ms. Heather Hagerman – Garrisonville District, Term Expires: 6/10/20
- Ms. Danielle Davis – Aquia District, Term Expires: 6/10/22
- Mr. Jack Rowley – Hartwood District, Term Expires: 6/10/21
- Mr. Charles W. Payne, Jr. – EDA Counsel
- Mr. John Holden – EDA Secretary; Director – Economic Development and Tourism Department